Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dream Home Series 4- Cozy Attic Spaces

The attic was the space in my home that always held the most mystery to me because I was rarely allowed to go in it due to the exposed nails in the ceiling and insulation. But I dreamed of a space where I could explore for hours. Remember the movie the Goonies circa 1980 something when the kids went up and found one eyed willies map to buried treasure. Well, I wanted that but alas I am hear projecting my design desires in this weeks post. 

 In my dream home I aspire to create a cozy intimate space that has an ere of mystery while is reminiscent of the the past. Functionally, it will serve as a get away where I can relax reflect and feel very safe as well as a place to read. Aesthetically, I wish it to maintain some kind of rustic element in the roof and flooring and have an inter play or light and darks. Well, I hope these images inspire you. Please feel free to share comments and thank you!

This image holds has a fantastical feel. I love the exposed dark ceiling, white curtains, and light coming through the patio door. 

I am drawn to this image because it really appeals to my inner child and its desire to explore through nostaligic and handed down family pieces. While junky, its almost a comfortable mess.

The third image is a screen shot from the movie the A Little Princess. Its the attic at on top of the boarding school/orphanage. What really appeals to me is the flooring and massive amount of space and HUGE windows! The following  image is what the girls were able to create with their imagination and help from a nice man next store who also seemed to have impeccable taste. 


I am drawn to this fifth  for mainly the same reason as the first. However, the amount of transparency the space has due to the amount of windows really adds an element of creativity. I say creativity because there is something about being at the highest point of your home  able to look out endlessly that evokes a sense of fantasy which for me at least goes hand in hand with fantasy.
The sixth and seventh image is a bit more modern than the others with its contemporary style and renovated ceiling and floor. But, it still appeals to me because I really enjoys the idea of the attic serving as an additional media/ lounge room to the house. 

I like this space because it has multiple functions as a bathroom and bedroom. In this particular space the exposed beam and that darned exotic wood screen really get me. I mean isn't the idea of the attic as a spa get away in your own home a seductive one?

I like the slanted ceiling look when its accompanied by windows and this room that is what I am most drawn too...I would have to say that having the attic as your master/ guest bedroom would be a unique feature in your house and would free up other rooms for other purposes. Imagine how snug a rainy morning would be.

I just see this as the epitome of snug.   Sometimes windows are not needed just warm lighting and texture.
Lastly I think the attic serving as an additional office in the home is a great way to gain desired work space in an often under utilized area. This homeowner leaves the bones of the structure exposed giving it a slightly rustic feel in an all around clean cozy looking room. Well done. 

Please notice. I do not own any of these photos. ALL images were acquired through unknown sources utilizing google image search engine. If anyone has a claim to know where these are from feel free to message me or leave a comment so I can give proper citations. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment